Tag Archives: rail

US41 closed by train derailment

ATTICA, Ind. (WLFI) — A train derailed near McDonald’s in Attica closed U.S. Highway 41 around 11:30 p.m. Saturday night. Police say the road will be shut down for several hours and drivers should avoid the area.

According to witness, the train was traveling to the town when they suddenly heard the train’s engage its breaks. That’s when Several train cars left the track and spilled their contents on top of passenger vehicles owned by Basic Auto Sales.

According to Attica Police, no injures were reported. No fuel leaks have been reported.

Officials say drivers can use North 500 E or County Road 200 W to get into near by Warren County.

We will have more information as it becomes available.

http://wlfi.com/2016/01/03/train-derailment-in-attica-closes-us-hwy-41/

Wabash and Erie Canal

Wabash and Erie Canal

Indiana was incorporated as a state in 1816, Fountain County, in 1825, and Attica was laid out and platted, also in 1825. The building of the Erie Canal in upstate New York proved so successful that the residents of Indiana saw the potential of such a canal here.

After much debate, on Feb. 23, 1832, formal ground breaking took place in Fort Wayne and in July 1832, actual construction took place and worked southwest; it reached Lafayette by 1842. The construction progressed slowly, reaching Covington in 1846 and by 1847, the canal reached Lodi in southern Fountain County. Now Fountain County was connected to Lake Erie by canal, and by 1847 traffic had begun to flow through the county via the canal. The canal had reached Terre Haute in 1849 and was completed to Evansville in 1853.

When completed the canal was 458 miles long and was the longest artificial waterway in this country and second only to the Grand Canal in China. The canal was 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet at the top and contained 4 feet of water. The towpath on one side was 10 feet wide and 4 feet above water level. The locks were 60 feet long and 15 feet wide

At Fountain (Portland Arch) was the widest part of the canal between Terre Haute and Lafayette. It was the only place between the two towns that boats could pass. Warehouses were located at Mayville, Attica, Jamestown, Fountain, Covington, Sarah, Vicksburg and Silver Island. At these Fountain County locations merchandise was unloaded from the canal boats. For the next few years, these towns flourished from the traffic between Lake Erie and the Mouth of the Mississippi via the Ohio River.

The coming of the county’s first railroad, the Wabash and Western Railroad line, built through Attica, in 1858, heralded the end of the canal’s usefulness. By 1860, portions south of Terre Haute were closed and the process of decline continued northward. In the end, the canal was too expensive to maintain, and when less costly railroads were completed nearby, its use declined dramatically. Around 1875, the last canal boat passed through Covington, and In 1876, the entire canal in Indiana was sold at auction.

——————————————————————

An article by Bob Quirk, published in the Journal Review.

Erie Canal reaches Fountain County in 1846

The Wabash and Erie Canal reached northern Fountain county during the drought year of 1846. This drought brought about an event which came to be known as the “Attica and Covington War”.

The drought had caused the water level to be low in the canal and water from the Wabash River was also low. When the water from the Wabash River was finally directed to the canal it was found there was barely enough of it to flood the canal to Attica and none for the Covington section of the canal.

The Daniel Webster, a beautiful line boat, arrived in Attica after much difficulty and could go no further. The publisher of the Attica Journal printed an exaggerated report of the boats’ arrival in Attica.

When the lock at Attica was opened and only the barest trickle of water came through, Covington suspected the worst. They thought Attica was closing off the flow of water to keep Covington from using the canal.

Covington Senator Hannegan, who happened to be home from Washington, offered his influence of his position and his ability to debate, if a local committee would accompany him to Attica and get them to open the flood gate. The visit was made but with no success and they returned to Covington.

By daylight the next morning Senator Hannegan and 300 townsmen and farmers armed with clubs stormed up the river to Attica.

The news of their approach was quickly spread and a well armed wagon load of men dispatched. However, the Attican’s arrived too late and in a matter of minutes they were surrounded, captured, disarmed and held prisoner.

The invaders forced their way through Attica and succeeded in opening the floodgates, letting the precious water into the lower section.

Reinforced by additional villagers and crews of the helpless boats, the Attican’s attempted to reclose the flood gates. However, it was too late and in a matter of minutes the thirty canal boats lay topsy turvey, mired in the mud, dumping their precious cargo overboard.

Thus the Covington-Attica canal war was over with victory going to neither town. The fourteen mile section had absorbed all of the ensuing water, not leaving enough to float a raft, much less a canal boat.

However, this was not the end of the canal. It wasn’t long until the drought ended and there was sufficient water and it was reopened.

At first packet boats did not run on a schedule. They started their trips after a profitable number of passengers was assured to be on board. The distance a boat traveled from Toledo to Attica was 267 miles and it took about 2 and half days and cost $3.75. An advertisement in a Ft. Wayne newspaper read: fast sailing “Niagra has large stateroom with 3 meals a day.

As demand increased, boats were designed for freight and passenger separately. The passenger boats were even designed in two classes. One class was for passengers who wanted to arrive at their destination quickly and the other was designed more luxuriously and traveled 5 to 8 miles per hour. They charged one to two cents a mile or more for a ticket.

The internal arrangement had a small covered cabin for the crew. Next was a wash room and drawing room and then the women’s cabin. Next was a large room usually about 45 feet long which served many purposes.

During the day it was a place of general assembly and it was there that 3 meals a day were served. At night it was converted into a floating dormitory. There were about 42 bunks of small shelves of wood, about six feet long and one and half foot wide. The beds were covered with a thin clump of straw and a flat bag of blue canvas. A blanket and pillow completed the bedding supplies.

When it was time to retire a man would take off his hat, neck tie and collar, coat and vest and climb into bed. If he was unusually finicky, he would also take off his shoes and trousers before climbing into bed, but if he did those extras he was considered finicky.

In the morning before breakfast they lined up to wash in a tin basin filled with water from the canal. A comb and brush hung near the place where food was being prepared.

A show boat called, “The Dixie Boys Minstrel Show” operated along the canal. It had a seating capacity of 100.

P.T. Barnum’s Circus came to Attica in 1879. Tom Thumb, three elephants, a band of clowns gave a great show. The boats ran from March 1st until November 1st.

A tin horn announced the arrival and departure of the canal boat at each post.

The canal played an important part in the development of West Central Indiana, However, with the coming of the railroad, the canal era came to an end in the 1870’s.

http://www.journalreview.com/news/article_a31c3bda-1974-11e1-b039-001cc4c002e0.html

——————————————————————

This wedding was held on a canal boat on May 16, 1872, in Attica, Indiana, on the Erie Canal. http://www.in.gov/history/images/canalwedding.gif

Attica canal wedding

——————————————————————

Further Reading:-

A couple of interesting articles, originally published in the Journal Review newspaper, written by Bob Quick are:-
http://www.journalreview.com/news/article_265516fc-01c9-11e1-adad-001cc4c002e0.html
http://www.journalreview.com/news/article_a31c3bda-1974-11e1-b039-001cc4c002e0.html

Some of the history of Attica is detailed on the city’s website http://attica-in.gov/visiting-attica/history-of-attica/

The Attica page on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attica,_Indiana

The Railroad bridge over the Wabash, at Attica

The first railroad bridge across the Wabash River at Attica was built when the Wabash and Western Railroad line was built through Attica, in 1858. According to an 1869 illustration of the layout of the town, the railroad crossed the river through a covered bridge. (Seen below in the lower center of the picture)

attica1869

This was later replaced, with a Pratt Through Truss style, iron bridge, in 1880.

pcwattica06

On the morning of April 6th, 1914, a freight train, crossing the bridge crashed, apparently weakening the bridge. When the east bound Wabash passenger train No. 4, known as the Continental Limited arrived, later that same day, they were held on the west side of the bridge. After Railroad Officials inspected the bridge, and after sending a switch engine across, it was deemed safe. The Continental Limited train crept out onto the bridge. As the train reached about one hundred feet out onto the bridge, the bridge collapsed under the weight. This sent the engine, the baggage coach and a day carriage, crashing twenty-five feet, to the river below.

7578139852_f42f5fe92d_o

 

There was a crowd watching, as this happened. The crowd that formed after the morning derailment, was still there, waiting to see the passenger train cross. Help was quickly given to the injured and survivors.

pcwattica03

Altogether, three people lost their lives, and forty were injured, some seriously. A train was arranged to take the casualties to a hospital, in Lafayette, some twenty miles away. The bridge was soon repaired, and in about a week normal service was resumed.

The iron bridge, was later replaced, with a deck plate girder bridge, which is still in use today, carrying about 25 trains a day. So far, I have not been able to find out when it was replaced.

ns-bridge-at-attica-west-10-11-01-l

Further Reading:-

For further details about this train wreck, please see the Gen Disasters page http://www3.gendisasters.com/indiana/9105/attica-in-train-wreck-apr-1914

For further information about this bridge see this page on Bridge Hunter http://bridgehunter.com/in/fountain/bh46702/

Some of the history of Attica is detailed on the city’s website http://attica-in.gov/visiting-attica/history-of-attica/

There are a lot of interesting old Fountain County pictures on the Indiana Gen Web website http://indianagenweb.com/infountain/photos/index.htm

The Attica page on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attica,_Indiana